We’re adding an option that makes it easy to chat with meeting attendees directly from Google Calendar. Within the Calendar event on web or mobile, you’ll see a Chat icon next to the guest list — simply select this icon to create a group chat containing all event participants. Please note: this only applies to participants within your organization, external attendees are not included in the chat group.This makes it simple to chat with guests before, during, or after any meeting.
Chat with event attendees directly from the Calendar event on mobile devices
Chat with event attendees directly from the Calendar event on web
Why you’d use it
Previously, the main way to communicate with Calendar event attendees was via email. However, there are times when Chat may be preferred to email for communication. For example, sending a message that you’re running late, or sharing resources with attendees not long before the meeting starts. Now, the email and chat options are side by side on the calendar event. This can help you quickly choose whichever form of communication you prefer, and start conversations with just a few taps. When combined with Chat suggestions, it’s always easy to communicate with event participants via chat.
- Admins: This feature will be ON by default for all users with Chat and Calendar turned on. Use our Help Center for more information on managing which services are available to your users.
- End users: This feature will be ON by default. Visit the Help Center to learn more about this feature.
On the web:
- Rapid Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on September 20th, 2021
- Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on October 4th, 2021
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on October 4, 2021
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as G Suite Basic and Business customers
- Google Workspace Admin Help: Turn on external chat options
- Google Workspace Updates Blog: Google Chat will automatically suggest 1:1 chat based on your Google Calendar