Content is everything we consume online. Users arrive on a site to be educated, entertained, inspired, or complete a task.
Content is how you win new site visitors, and how you entice them to return. So it’s important to remember that, though ads are driving revenue, content should be the focal point of every page.
With that in mind, part three of our series for new publishers focuses on how to plan, write, and promote great content. If you missed part one (AdSense 101) or part two (AdSense best practices), then check them out and get caught up.
The keys to engaging, shareable content
Be targeted, consistent, and frequent: Take the time to figure out who is reading your content and which topics they engage with most (we’ll get into the mechanics of this later on). Update your site as often as possible with fresh content, tailored to your audience.
Use video where possible: People crave video, users from around the world are now watching a billion hours of YouTube’s incredible content every single day! Video personalizes your brand and can boost the amount of time user’s spend on your site.
- Don’t use more than 7 sentences per paragraph
- Keep your column width between 700 and 800 pixels
- Organize your content with headers and subheaders.
If you haven’t already, it’s a good idea to link Google Analytics and AdSense. Otherwise, the following recommendations will not be applicable for you.
The Landing Page report in Google Analytics helps you understand where users landed on your site, and where they left from. This will give you insights into the type of content that draws visitors from external sites, and may highlight content that should be re-worked due to poor metrics.
To get the most value from the Landing Page report, track the following:
- Look for pages with high bounce rates. If you find that one or two areas of your site drive your users towards the exit, then ask yourself what you could do to improve them.
- If you’ve got quality content that’s not attracting new visitors, then play with the headline or experiment with different primary images to promote it.
- Analyze page speed. 53% of mobile site visits are abandoned if pages take longer than 3 seconds to load. If some of your pages are slower than others, then it’s likely they contain bloated elements. Consider compressing images or getting rid of animated files. Check out the tactical recommendations to increase page speed in part two of this series.
Use the Demographics and Interests tab in your Google Analytics account to understand who’s reading your content, and what their interests are (you’ll need to enable this feature before getting started).
The Demographics report will give you insights into the age and gender of your audience, and allows you to segment these groups to see how different people react to your content.
Use the Interest report to shape your content to your audience’s interests, and identify upcoming events they may be interested in. For example, if fans of your digital marketing blog are also interested in new technology and gadgets, you could mention these learnings across your social channels to increase your following.
At this point, you’ll have accumulated data from content grouping, as well as the Landing Page, Demographics, and Insights reports. Use it all to paint a picture of your average user, what they enjoy, what they dislike - then use those insights to build a content calendar.
A content calendar will allow you to plan a content strategy that’s focused on the topics you know your audience enjoys. Be sure to research seasonal events related to your industry or product, so you can discuss them while they’re still relevant.
Build an audience on social
Growing an audience on social media can provide publishers with a consistent source of referral traffic to their sites. As with content, the best way to compel users to follow your social accounts is to provide them with consistent value.
- Don’t be too self-promotional. You’ll want to link back to your content, but if that’s all you focus on, potential followers will lose interest.
- Use your content calendar to prepare posts around upcoming events in advance. Users care less about an Oscars tweet a week after the ceremony.
- Create relationships with influencers. Retweet them, mention them in a favorable way, and link to their content. These relationships can lead to guest-blogging opportunities or retweets from an account with a large audience. This tactic can help you break through your current organic reach to access new users.
- Build relationships with your users. Answer their questions promptly, engage with them in conversations. If your audience feels valued, they’ll be much more likely to help you promote your content.
- Use Google Trends to discover trending topics on a daily basis, and tie in posts with popular conversations.
And make sure to check in next week, when our series for new publishers continues with a post on improving performance to potentially maximize profits.
If you think AdSense is a fit for your site, then sign up now and get started.
‘Til next time.
Posted by: Jay Castro, @jayciro
A staggering $6.9 billion was spent on mobile digital ads in Q4 2015. In this second installment of the #SuccessStack, learn how you can claim your share of advertising budgets spent this quarter and grow your revenue.
Tip 1: The early bird catches the worm
Does it feel like the holiday season gets bigger and starts earlier every year? You’re not wrong. This year Black Friday set a new record with over $3 billion in online sales. The entire holiday shopping season has evolved into a truly multi-month, online affair.
Take advantage of the holiday ad spending spree by placing ads on your site. A good first step is to choose the right tool to sell and manage ads on your site. Then, make sure your available ad space is optimized and mobile friendly. Finally, when the holiday season is in full swing, you can use experiments to measure and improve your use of ad space further.
Tip 2: Tailor your content to what users are looking for
The holiday shopping season creates big opportunities for AdSense publishers. According to Luth Research*, the way people search when shopping becomes more niche as they move closer to buying an item. For example, individuals may start their shopping journey with search terms like “gadgets for men” or “laptops” but finish a few weeks later with searches for specific models or screen sizes.
To capture audience attention and increase your ad impressions, build a content strategy that taps into this insight. Try creating content that taps into each stage of the buyer journey like gift inspiration articles for those early stage “i need ideas” moments, and product comparison content for those “i want to know” moments before users make a purchase decision. To help you make the most of these moments check out our guide to help you draw the crowds to your site.
Tip 3: Use the right advertising partner
Partner with an ad network that can help you earn more during this peak advertising period. AdSense, with its access to millions of Google AdWords advertisers offers an easy, profitable and low touch advertising solution.
Already an AdSense user? Enjoy an expert consultation to walk you through DoubleClick’s suite of tools to help you manage and optimize the ad inventory on your site. It could help you grow your revenues even further this holiday season.
If you’re new to AdSense, be sure to sign up today and start turning your #PassionIntoProfit.
We all know how frustrating it is when a page takes forever to load. We twiddle our thumbs and look from side to side. And after just three seconds, we bounce.
But somehow publishers aren’t responding to this primal need that we all know as users.
According to Google's research from the Mobile Speed Matters report, the average load time for mobile sites across the web is 19 seconds. This is a LONG time. Usain Bolt can run 200m in 19.9s - think of what your users can do with a tap and a swipe.
But how does this impact me? Well, the report also states that…
- 53% of mobile site visits are abandoned if pages take longer than 3 seconds to load.
- Publishers whose mobile sites load in 5 seconds earn up to 2x more mobile ad revenue than those whose sites load in 19 seconds.
By now we think you’re sold on speed. So what’s next?
- Understand your site’s speed with these resources
- Consider one of the following quick fixes
- Get our mobile web speed toolkit and...
- Measure your site’s performance
- Assess the different components impacting speed
- Prioritize the order your site loads
- Test, remeasure and repeat to improve your site speed
- UGC publishers with constantly evolving content - think Tumblr, Facebook, Pinterest.
- Sites with lengthy articles or tutorials. No one wants to click ‘more’ or ‘page 2’ anymore. It’s just too dang hard.
- Publishers using a slideshow with pagination. Consider a lazy loaded infinite scroll instead. Users love it.
- Publishers considering mobile first (aren’t we all?!).
- Crawler errors & SEO impact and check out this article for creating a search friendly infinite scroll.
- Choose a color scheme and stick to it
- Choose a layout and stick to it
- Choose a theme and stick to it
Place ads at natural breaks or where the user’s attention may have waned. Not only will this improve user experience but it also may encourage a higher CTR and increased audience engagement.
Keep it simple, folks.
- Make it touch friendly. What’s easier than that?
- Bullet points make your content easily consumable
- Be brief in sign-ups. If your site requires users to sign-up or sign-in, keep input requirements to a minimum or consider adding a Google sign-in option to speed up the process
So there you have it; the four S’ of user experience: speed, scroll, style, simple. If you’re new to AdSense, be sure to sign up today and start turning your #PassionIntoProfit.
Posted by: Sarah Hornsey, from the AdSense team
Friendly shout outs boost your online image, and encourage the rest of the community to also view and engage with your site.
If you have an idea for a piece of content from another author or are sharing someone else’s article on your site, it’s important to link back to the original owner. Basically, make sure to give credit where credit’s due. By including a backlink (or inbound link), the original owner’s analytics will track what portion of their online traffic came from your site. Chances are, they may even return the favor later on by linking to your shareworthy content.
Promote Yourself Indirectly
The best way to encourage other publishers to direct their readers to your site is to provide high-quality, unique content. Inbound links such as these are valuable to you because they send out organic signals to search engines about the naturally derived credibility of your site. Establishing a reputation for inspiring, timely content is your best tool for continued success and traffic.
Thanks for taking the time to learn about Google ad network policy, processes, and best practices. Together, we can continue to make the web and advertising experience great.
Posted by: Anastasia Almiasheva from the AdSense team
According to a Think With Google study, “67% of users will switch [to another site or app] if it takes too many steps to purchase or get desired information.” Different forms of media can greatly improve your content’s appeal, if it’s used strategically. With people giving less and less time to the things they read online, it’s up to you to keep visitors engaged and entertained. The following tips will help give your content a stronger impact.
1. Share your content visually
2. Break things up
Images can be a great way to break up long text. Unbroken, continuous text is time-consuming to read and can make visitors “check out” prematurely; no matter how interesting the topic is. By breaking up a longer content piece with related imagery, you can increase the chances of you audience staying to read more, and hopefully, fulfill a desired action on your site.
To learn more about familiarizing your audience with your brand, check out the AdSense Guide to Audience Engagement.
Posted by Jay Castro
Audience Development Specialist
Publishers are constantly faced with the question of how to balance content and ads to provide the best possible experience for your users. And as you might have found, there’s no easy one-size-fits-all approach. Every site and app is different, with different types of content, objectives, and users, which means that balancing content and ads will look different from publisher to publisher. When faced with this challenge, it’s important to ensure that you give your users what they're looking for in a format that’s easy to find and navigate, and this includes the ads on your page or app.
Here are a few tips to help you balance ads and content.
1. Content is king.
Your content is the reason users are visiting your site or app. If you think about it, your users are visiting your site for a reason, whether they are looking for a recipe, how to build a birdhouse, or trying to find out what’s happening in their town. By providing them with the information they're looking for, you satisfy their need in the moment that they need it the most. Check out this blog post to learn more about winning these micro-moments.
2. Design your site or app around the user journey.
By making your content the focal point on the page, and following standard web best practices, you can create a site that's visually appealing and easy for your users to use and navigate. Check out the AdSense Guide to Audience Engagement for best practices on designing user journeys, not just web pages.
3. Use ads to complement your site or app.
Ads should always supplement the content on your site, not the other way around. So when you’re placing ad units on your site, consider the user journey and how the ad format will complement your site and provide value for your users. If you want ads to look more natural, and match the feel of your content, consider using native ad units. For example, news and article publishers could consider using the native-style format called Matched content at the bottom of each article to direct readers to other relevant content on the same site. This strategy can help grow readership and your ad business.
4. Test, test, test and test again.
At the end of the day, data will be your source of truth. If you’re considering implementing new ad units, run an AdSense experiment to see how they perform. Also, test the different formats to see what works best for your users and your page.
Remember, content is king and it’s the most important thing to users on your site. So you should always have more content than ads on each page. For more information and best practices, head over to the AdSense Help Center or join our next #AskAdSense office hours on Twitter and Google+.
Posted by: John Brown, Publisher Policy Communications Lead
Baca dalam Bahasa Indonesia di bawah.
More and more users from all over the world are gaining access to information online. For current AdSense publishers, this presents an opportunity to grow your audience globally. This new Global Spotlight series can help educate, inspire, and provide you with insights into how you can grow your business and share your content in emerging markets.
Today we’d like to bring you to Indonesia, an archipelago country of 17,000 islands and home to 260 million people. Indonesia is experiencing rapid internet penetration growth with approximately 100 million internet users and an expected 37% new internet user growth through 2020. Indonesian online ad revenue is also expected to grow aggressively - with over 40% annual growth in digital ad spend expected over the next few years.
Jeanny Haliman is a Strategic Partner Manager on the AdSense team with deep roots in Indonesia. She helps publishers in her home country of Indonesia grow their businesses by accelerating their success using AdSense.
“My mission is to empower my partners to pursue their passion and gain financial independence by creating content that they love.”
Here are Jeanny’s top three tips for publishers who are looking to expand into or start their business in Indonesia.
1. Optimize your site for mobile to meet the needs of Indonesian users
Indonesia is a mobile-first market where 65% of Indonesians access the internet via their smartphones more often than a desktop or tablet and urban Indonesians spend three times more of their daily online time with their smartphone rather than a desktop. It’s extremely important to optimize your sites user experience and ad strategy for the large number of Indonesian users accessing content via smartphones.
Here are two resources to help you optimize your content for mobile users:
- Download the #AdSenseGuide to Mobile Web Success to learn best practices on how to make the most of every mobile opportunity.
- Use Page-level ads. Page-level ads are a family of ad formats that offer a new and innovative way to help you earn money from your mobile content. They’re designed to automatically show the right mobile ad format at the right time - potentially increasing your earnings without interfering with your users’ mobile experience. Implementing Page-level ads is easy. Check out this 2-minutes tutorial that will walk you through the process.
2. Audience engagement is key to increasing your presence in Indonesia
Engaging your audience is all about telling the story that users are looking for, in a unique and creative way. As publishers, it’s your role to make it easy for users to consume content. Easy to consume content creates more chances to engage with an audience, ultimately yielding greater ad impressions.
Here are two resources Jeanny shares with publishers that want to engage with an audience:
- Download the #AdSenseGuide to Audience Engagement. This eBook is packed with tips to help make your content easy to consume.
- Use the free AdSense content recommendation tool, Matched content, to encourage your site visitors to consume more of your content. Place the Matched content unit at the bottom of your articles and it will promote additional contextually relevant and personalized articles from your site. Check if your account is eligible for Matched content here.
3. Ensure that your site is policy-compliant
Understanding AdSense Policy will help Indonesian publishers to build a healthy and sustainable business in the long-term. Here're some tips Jeanny usually gives to her publishers:
- Understand the AdSense Program Policies.
- Avoid accidental clicks on your own ads and notify us if there is invalid activity in your account
- Check your AdSense-registered email regularly. If you receive a policy warning email, quickly fix your policy violations. If your ads get disabled, fix your policy violations and send an appeal via the form given on the email.
Do you want to hear more from Jeanny about successfully monetizing your content in Indonesia? She regularly hosts live Hangout on Air sessions with her publishers to talk through best practices, ad placement tips, and ways to grow your business. Be sure to register your interest to receive updates on the next session. Until then, you can watch a recording of a recent Hangout on Air she hosted about Policy and Mobile Web Optimization.
Stay tuned for the next global market spotlight. In the meantime, be sure to follow us on Twitter and Google+ to hear updates and account optimization tips. Also, check out Google Indonesia on Twitter, they curate great content to grow you business in Indonesia.
Posted by: Ha Truong, from the AdSense Emerging Markets Team
Pada kesempatan ini, kami ingin mengajak Anda ke Indonesia, negara kepulauan dengan 17.000 pulau dan berpenduduk 260 juta orang. Penetrasi internet di Indonesia sedang mengalami perkembangan pesat dengan pengguna internet berjumlah sekitar 100 juta orang dan pertumbuhan pengguna internet baru sampai tahun 2020 diharapkan mencapai 37% Pendapatan iklan online Indonesia juga diharapkan tumbuh secara agresif - dengan pertumbuhan tahunan dalam pembelanjaan iklan digital diharapkan mencapai lebih dari 40% dalam beberapa tahun ke depan .
Jeanny Haliman adalah Manager Mitra Strategis AdSense yang memiliki akar kuat di Indonesia. Ia membantu para penayang di negara asalnya, Indonesia, dalam mengembangkan bisnis dan menyukseskan monetisasi mereka menggunakan AdSense.
“Misi saya adalah memberdayakan mitra untuk mengejar cita-cita mereka dan mendapatkan sokongan finansial secara independen ketika mereka membuat konten yang mereka sukai.”
Berikut adalah tiga tips utama dari Jeanny untuk penayang yang ingin berekspansi atau memulai bisnisnya di Indonesia.
1. Optimalkan situs mobile untuk memenuhi kebutuhan pengguna Indonesia:
Indonesia adalah pasar yang didominasi pengguna seluler. 65% orang Indonesia mengakses internet lebih banyak melalui ponsel dibandingkan melalui desktop atau tablet. Masyarakat kota Indonesia juga menghabiskan waktu harian online-nya tiga kali lebih sering di ponsel dibandingkan di desktop4] Penting sekali untuk mengoptimalkan pengalaman pengguna dan strategi iklan di situs Anda untuk sebagian besar pengguna Indonesia yang mengakses konten melalui ponsel.
Berikut adalah dua sumber referensi untuk membantu Anda mengoptimalkan konten bagi pengguna seluler:
- Unduh The #AdSenseGuide to Mobile Web Success untuk mempelajari praktik terbaik cara memaksimalkan setiap peluang seluler.
- Gunakan Iklan tingkat laman. Iklan tingkat laman adalah jenis format iklan yang menawarkan cara baru dan inovatif untuk membantu Anda memperoleh uang dari konten seluler. Iklan tingkat laman ini didesain untuk menampilkan secara otomatis format iklan seluler yang tepat pada waktu yang tepat - berpotensi meningkatkan penghasilan tanpa mengganggu pengalaman seluler pengguna. Selain itu, iklan tingkat laman mudah diterapkan. Lihat tutorial 2 menit yang akan memandu Anda melalui prosesnya.
2. Memikat pembaca adalah kunci untuk meningkatkan kehadiran Anda di Indonesia
Konsep dasar dalam memikat pembaca adalah dengan memberikan konten yang dicari pengguna situs, dengan cara yang unik dan kreatif. Sebagai penayang, misi Anda adalah mempermudah pembaca untuk menikmati konten Anda. Hal ini dapat memikat pembaca untuk membaca lebih banyak konten di situs anda, yang pada akhirnya menghasilkan jumlah tayangan iklan yang lebih besar.
Berikut adalah dua sumber referensi yang dibagikan oleh Jeanny kepada penayang:
- Unduh #AdSenseGuide to Audience Engagement. E-buku ini dilengkapi sejumlah tips untuk membantu membuat konten Anda mudah dinikmati.
- Gunakan fitur rekomendasi konten AdSense gratis, yaitu Konten yang sesuai, untuk mendorong pengunjung situs menikmati lebih banyak konten Anda. Tempatkan unit Konten yang sesuai di bawah artikel Anda, yang kemudian akan mempromosikan artikel tambahan dari situs anda yang relevan secara kontekstual. Periksa kelayakan situs Anda untuk Konten yang sesuai di sini.
3. Pastikan situs Anda mematuhi kebijakan
Memahami Kebijakan AdSense akan membantu penayang Indonesia membangun bisnis yang sehat dan berkelanjutan dalam jangka panjang. Berikut beberapa tips yang biasanya diberikan oleh Jeanny kepada penayang:
- Pahami Kebijakan Program AdSense.
- Hindari klik yang tidak disengaja di iklan Anda sendiri dan beri tahu kami jika ada aktivitas tidak valid di akun Anda
- Periksa email yang terdaftar di AdSense secara teratur. Jika Anda menerima email peringatan kebijakan, perbaiki pelanggaran kebijakan secepatnya. Jika iklan Anda dinonaktifkan, perbaiki pelanggaran kebijakan dan ajukan banding melalui formulir yang diberikan dalam email.
Nantikan AdSense Global Spotlight berikutnya. Sementara itu, pastikan Anda mengikuti kami di Twitter dan Google+ untuk mengetahui informasi dan pengumuman terbaru.
Ha Truong, Dari Tim Pasar Negara Berkembang
- eMarketer, Indonesia Internet & Social Media Metrics 2015
- eMarketer, Comparative Estimates, 2016
- eMarketer, Total Media, Digital and Mobile Ad Spending in Indonesia, 2015
- Sample base: Indonesian consumers in 5 urban cities (Jakarta, Bodetabek, Bandung, Semarang, Surabaya) Source: Google / GfK Indonesia Digital Habits Study (2015)
People love to share things with their friends, family, and colleagues. Presenting your users with relevant and unique content is the best way to encourage sharing and give you a competitive advantage. Content that is underscored by emotion, in particular, can help you strengthen your brand’s presence.
Here are some tips to help you get into the minds, and hearts, of your audience:
1. Be relatable
Taking the time to research what your visitors are interested in is the first step to creating shareable content. Diversify to cover multiple facets of your audience’s interests by including work, lifestyle and social topics to keep things fresh and engaging. Contextualizing your stories also increases the chances of your audience relating to and wanting to share your site.
Staying up-to-the-minute can require a lot of time and research. Luckily, online tools such as Google Trends can help you identify what’s important to your audience as well as offer helpful insights about people in specific regions you are trying to target. Being a thought leader means not only sharing up-to-the-minute industry news with your audience, but also offering insightful observations and predictions of what this may mean down the road. A trusted source is a followed source.
While timely articles are great for generating instant buzz, having content that maintains its importance over time yields higher traffic rate overall. Evergreen content is information that stays relevant no matter when it is consumed. Make sure to interlace trendier content with evergreen pieces every so often.
To learn more about familiarizing your audience with your brand, check out the AdSense Guide to Audience Engagement.
Posted by Jay Castro
Audience Development Specialist