We’re launching a beta for a new Directory Sync solution which can make it quicker and easier to synchronize your Active Directory user and group data with your Google Cloud directory.
Directory Sync is an alternative to Google Cloud Directory Sync (GCDS). You might want to consider it if you want to sync Microsoft Active Directory LDAP data with your Google cloud directory using a completely cloud-based solution, without the need to manage on-prem hardware and deployments. Please read more about its features and network requirements to learn whether it's right for you.
Why you’d use it
The new Directory Sync solution is:
- Cloud based: The cloud-based sync process is auto-scheduled to run on a continuous basis in a loop, so there’s no need to install a sync client or on-premises software.
- Easy to use: A simple and modern UI integrated with the Admin console makes it easy to use for those with no LDAP knowledge. Plus, there’s no need for Google exclusion rules if you would like to sync from multiple Active Directory sources or manage a subset of users or groups within Google without synching from Active Directory.
- Integrated reporting: It offers centralized reporting in the Admin console. You can filter, search, and set custom alerts.
- Native multi-directory support: You can sync users and groups from more than one Active Directory source.
The initial scope for the Directory Sync beta supports user and group sync with Active Directory only, and covers a limited range of attributes. In the future, we’ll add other features, including support for additional attributes, OU mapping to automatically place new user accounts in OUs, and more types of data.
If your Active Directory server is located on-premises or hosted outside a Google Cloud environment, you’ll require a connection between Google Cloud and the LDAP server using Cloud VPN or Cloud Interconnect. Learn more about system requirements for using Directory Sync and supported network connections for Directory Sync.
- Admins: To use the Directory Sync beta, go to Admin console > Home > Directory > Directory Sync. No beta sign up or registration is required. You can delegate the ability to manage Active Directory with the new Directory Sync admin user role. Use our Help Center to learn more about using the new Directory Sync, and see FAQs about Directory Sync.
- End users: No end user impact
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on January 27, 2022
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as G Suite Basic and Business customers and Cloud Identity customers