Data regions gives you the ability to choose where covered data for select Google Workspace apps is stored at rest. The existing data regions feature, now known as Enterprise data regions, offer a full range of features to Google Workspace Enterprise Plus and Education Plus customers.
Now, we’re introducing a more limited version of data regions, known as Fundamental data regions, which will be available to Google Workspace Enterprise Standard, Business Plus, Business Standard and Frontline customers.
Why you’d use it
Google Workspace’s globally distributed cloud infrastructure reduces latency and protects data with geo redundancy, so most organizations choose not to geo-restrict their data. If, however, your organization has preference to control where its data is stored at rest, data regions can help you meet those needs.
Fundamental data regions is a more limited version of data regions compared to Enterprise data regions, which is available to Google Workspace Enterprise Plus and Education Plus customers. Some key differences include:
- Single vs multiple regions: Enterprise data regions enables you to set multiple region policies, whereas the Fundamental data regions only offers one region of your choosing.
- Root OU vs full OU and group controls: Enterprise data regions allows for customizing data regions for different groups and organizational units (OUs) within your organization. Fundamental data regions only allows you to set a single policy at the root OU level.
- Report availability: Enterprise data regions includes detailed reports on the move progress of your covered data. These reports will not be available to Fundamental data regions users.
Admins that need the full functionality of Enterprise data regions can get access by visiting their Subscriptions page in the Admin console to upgrade licenses to Google Workspace Enterprise Plus or Education Plus.
- Admins: This feature will be turned off by default. Visit the Help Center to learn more about choosing a geographic location for your data.
- End users: No end user impact.
Settings available for Fundamental data regions in the Admin console
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on July 21, 2021
- Fundamental data regions newly available to Google Workspace Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Standard, and Frontline customers
- Enterprise data regions already available to Google Workspace Enterprise Plus and Education Plus customers.
- Not available to Google Workspace Essentials, Enterprise Essentials, Education Fundamentals, Nonprofits, as well as G Suite Basic and Business customers.