Following the announcement of an improved admin experience for moving folders from My Drive to shared drives, we’re introducing a beta that will allow end users to move folders from My Drive into shared drives.
Eligible Workspace editions can apply for the beta here.
Admins and end users
Why it matters
Extending the capability for end users to move folders from My Drive into shared drives increases the flexibility of sharing and helps to avoid permission escalations.
We’re also updating My Drive and shared drive roles to create a more seamless experience when it comes to members and access levels. Currently, when an admin moves a folder from My Drive into a shared drive, all folder Editors are converted to Contributors by default. Starting today, when an admin or an end-user (opted into this beta), moves a folder from My Drive into a shared drive, Editors will be converted into Content managers. This update will lead to the retention of users' ability to organize content and share folders.
- To apply for the beta, sign up here. If accepted into the beta, visit the Help Center to learn more about moving files & folders into shared drives.
- Visit the Help Center to learn more about sharing permissions or user roles.
- End users: Once the beta is enabled by your admin, move a folder by selecting a folder in your My Drive and clicking on "Move to" in the folder menu (toolbar). Visit the Help Center to learn more about moving files & folders into shared drives.
- We will begin accepting new domains into this program in the coming weeks. Sign up for the beta here.
Update to user roles:
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on January 18, 2023
- Available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education Fundamentals, Education Plus, Education Standard, the Teaching and Learning Upgrade, and Nonprofits, and legacy G Suite Business customers
- Not available to Google Workspace Business Starter, Frontline, and legacy G Suite Basic customers
- Not available to users with personal Google Accounts