We’re introducing improvements to the web Google Drive location picker that enable you to quickly and efficiently select a location to organize files and folders. The updates include a new visual experience and helpful suggestions when moving files and folders or adding shortcuts to items in Drive. Specifically you’ll notice:
- “Suggested”, “Starred”, and “All locations” tabs. Upon navigating into a folder location, the tabs are replaced by a back button and the name of the location
- Details for the selected folder paths, an option to create a new folder, and an image notification if you’re moving something into an empty folder
- Suggested locations and the option to reject the suggestion, which immediately removes it from the list
- Streamlined navigation that adds an inline button to complete the action of moving a file in one click
- A label if a folder is “view only” and explanations for why you might face an error when moving a file, such as not being the owner of a file
Why it’s important
This update improves upon the current Drive picker experience, allowing you to organize files, folders, and shortcuts in Drive in a more effective manner.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature.
- End users: Visit the Help Center to learn more about how to use Google Drive.
- Rapid Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on April 12, 2023
- Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on April 26, 2023
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as legacy G Suite Basic and Business customers
- Available to users with personal Google Accounts
- This feature was listed as an upcoming release.