In 2020, we launched security groups to beta. Beginning today, this feature is now generally available. Security groups help you easily regulate, audit, and monitor groups used for permission and access control purposes. They enable admins to:
- Apply a label to any existing Google Group to distinguish it from email-list groups.
- Provide strong guarantees that:
- External groups (owned outside your organization) and non-security groups cannot be added as a member of a security group.
- Security labels, once assigned to a group, cannot be removed. This ensures that once a group is used for security purposes, it will remain in that state.
Why it’s important
Groups are used in a variety of ways. This can include groups that help teams communicate and collaborate, as well as groups that control access to important apps and resources. Security groups can help customers manage these categories of groups differently to increase their overall security posture.
For example, if you have compliance or regulatory requirements for managing access control, you may have set up naming conventions to keep track of which groups were used for this purpose. With security groups, you can now assign a security label to these groups and more easily manage them without having to use workarounds like naming conventions.
- Admins: Visit the Help Center to learn more about providing more secure access to data and resources.
- Developers: Use the Developers Guide to learn more about updating a Google Group to a security group.
- End users: There is no end user action required.
- This feature is available now.
- Available to Google Workspace Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education Fundamentals, Education Plus, and Nonprofits, as well as G Suite Basic and Business customers
- Not available to Google Workspace Essentials and Frontline customers
- Google Workspace Admin Help: Provide more secure access to data & resources
- Developers Guide: Updating a Google Group to a security group
- Google Workspace Updates Blog: Security groups help manage groups used for security and access control
- Google Workspace Updates Blog: Use dynamic security groups for group based policies