As previously announced, we are replacing classic Sites with new Sites. All Google Workspace customers will have until the end of 2021 to complete this transition.
We’d like to remind you that starting May 15, 2021, users will no longer be able to create new websites in classic Google Sites. We recommend that you turn off site creation in classic Sites for your domain before May 15, 2021.
Note that the timeline for this transition varies for users with personal Google accounts — see the “Getting Started” section below for more details.
Admins and end users
Why it’s important
If you haven’t already, we strongly recommend enabling new Sites creation for your users today, to ensure all newly-created websites use the new Google Sites. If you want your organization’s classic Sites content to continue to be viewable without interruption, make sure all of your existing classic Sites are migrated by December 31, 2021.
Admins should also review the remaining transition timeline and take any necessary action:
- Starting May 15, 2021: New website creation will no longer be available in classic Sites. This means that any new websites created in your organization will only be in new Sites.
- Starting December 1, 2021: Editing of any remaining classic Sites will be disabled.
- Starting January 1, 2022: When users try to visit a classic Site, they will no longer see the website content. Any remaining classic Sites will automatically be:
- Downloaded as an archive and saved to the website owner’s Google Drive.
- Replaced with a draft in the new Google Sites for site owners to review and publish.
We anticipate the transition process for all remaining classic Sites that starts January 1, 2022 will take one to three months to complete. You’ll receive a notification once this is completed for your domain. During the transition period, you and your users will still be able to take action on remaining classic Sites. Visit the Help Center for more details on the Classic Sites migration.
If you don’t take any action, the changes outlined in the transition timeline above will automatically be applied to your domain. Use our Help Center to learn more about the transition from classic Sites to new Sites.
- Admins: Follow the disable creating classic Sites instructions to turn off site creation in classic Sites before May 15, 2021. This change will help ensure all newly-created websites are using the new Google Sites experience.
- Use the Classic Sites Manager to help your users make the transition. Using this console, admins can:
- View all classic Sites in your domain with the option to export to Google Sites for project management.
- Convert, archive, or delete your websites.
- Bulk delete and restore sites within the Classic Sites Manager.
- Bulk update ownership of sites from within the Classic Sites Manager.
- Google Workspace end users: Users need to transition from classic to new Sites according to the timeline outlined above. Learn more about how to use the Classic Sites Manager tool, or visit our Help Center to learn how to convert a classic Site to a new Site.
- End users with personal Google accounts: Visit the Help Center to learn more about the transition timeline from classic Sites to new Sites.
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as G Suite Basic and Business customers.
- Available to users with personal Google accounts.
- Google Workspace Admin Help: Manage users’ access in Sites
- Google Workspace Admin Help: Transition from classic Sites to new Sites
- Google Workspace Admin Help: Disable creating classic Sites
- Classic Sites Manager
- Google Sites Migration Guide
- Google Workspace Updates Blog: Timelines and tools for transition from classic to new Google Sites