Starting March 24, we’re making some changes to the interface of Google Chat on the web (i.e. chat.google.com) and the Progressive Web Application (PWA).
|Old and new Google Chat on the web|
Why you’d use it
The new interface is similar to that of Chat in Gmail, giving users a consistent and predictable Chat experience no matter where they are. We’ve also added some new integrations to help your users be more productive. See Additional details below for more information.
In addition to the visual interface updates, you’ll also see the following changes on Chat on the web:
- In Chat rooms, you can now access shared files and tasks via tabs at the top of the room
- We’ve added the quick access side panel on the right side, like in Gmail, to provide access to apps like Calendar, Keep, Tasks, and Maps
- Search for existing conversations or for people to start new conversations is now under the “+” on the left-side navigation.
- You can use the search bar at the top to look for content across all rooms and direct messages (DMs). To search for content within each room or direct message, click on the search button at the top right corner of the room/DM first and then proceed to search for content in the search bar.
- The “Chat” and “Rooms” sections on the left-side navigation bar are static, allowing you to scroll more easily within each section. You can readjust the height of each of the sections based on your preference.
- Feature to toggle between full screen view and pop-up view for both rooms and DMs, allowing easier multi tasking between conversations.
- Integration with Google Meet so you can join or start a call directly from Chat
- chat.google.com will now redirect to mail.google.com/chat. However, users can continue to use chat.google.com to access Chat.
Note that these changes will only impact domains with the Gmail service turned on. We’ll launch these changes to domains with Gmail turned off in the coming months.
- Admins: There is no admin control for these changes.
- End users: These changes will take place automatically at chat.google.com and in the Chat PWA.
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on March 24, 2021
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as G Suite Basic and Business customers