Admins can set Google Voice call recording options for any organizational unit or group in their organization. You can choose to automatically record calls–incoming, outgoing, or both–or allow users to manually record their calls. If you turn on automatic call recording, users receive a notification that the feature is on.
For both options, you can set up an audio notification to be played when recording has started. For on-demand manual recording, you can also set up a notification for when recording has stopped.
Admins can access any call recordings from Google Vault. Users can access their own recordings from their Voice call logs.
Admins and end users
Why it’s important
For admins, recording calls is a key component of policy management and compliance. Recording calls with customers ensures that a proper track record exists for each customer interaction. For business processes that require a customer record before processing customer requests, creating and confirming a call recording allows the request to take place.
For users, recording calls for later reference provides an alternative to note-taking and allows for sharing within the organization.
- Admins: The option to automatically record calls will be OFF by default. The option to allow users to record their calls will be ON by default, with a notification at the start and end of call recording. Both options can be changed at the organizational unit or group level. Visit the Help Center to learn more about controlling recorded calls in Voice.
Customize call recording options in the Google Voice settings
- End users: There is no end user setting to turn call recording on or off. If automatic recording is enabled by your administrator, an Auto Rec notification appears on your Voice call screen.
Users see “Auto Rec” if automatic recording is turned on
If on-demand recording is enabled by your administrator, a Record button appears and is active on your Voice call screen.
If on-demand recording is turned on, users can record their calls using the Record button
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains:
- For the Admin console setting: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on June 14, 2022.
- If enabled, recording of calls, both automatic and on-demand, will begin on or around July 11, 2022.
- Automatic voice recording is available to all Google Voice Premier customers
- On-demand voice recording is available to all Google Voice Premier and Standard customers