What’s changingWe recently announced new capabilities for Space Managers to ensure effective conversations within Google Chat. To build upon those features, we’re also giving Space Managers the ability to configure spaces for sharing organizational announcements. Using the new announcement-only configuration, message posting and other capabilities are limited to designated Space Managers, who can:
- Create a space with restricted post setting
- Reply in thread
- Add files
- Designate another member as a Space Manager
- Modify the space settings
Why you’d use it
Announcements facilitate one-way controlled communication in Google Chat. This can be important in a variety of scenarios, such as using a space for bulletin board-like updates rather than a resource for conversation.
We’re moving the “Allow people outside of your organization to join” to the Advanced section of the space creation settings.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature. Visit the Help Center to learn more about optimizing Chat spaces for your organization.
- End users:
- Upon creating a space, navigate to the Advanced settings and select the “Only Space managers can post” option. You cannot modify the setting to restrict posting to Space Managers after a space is created.
- If you are not a Space Manager, the following will appear in the Chat text bar: “Posting is limited to Space Managers.”
- Visit the Help Center to learn more about creating an announcement space and your role as a Space Manager.
- Rapid Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on April 17, 2023
- Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on May 5, 2023
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on May 1, 2023
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as legacy G Suite Basic and Business customers
- Not available to users with personal Google Accounts