What’s changingIn May 2019, we’ll make some changes to the settings in Google Groups. In response to your ongoing feedback, we are updating Groups’ settings to make it easier for you and your users to manage and configure groups. Specifically, we will remove settings and features that are rarely used, and combine settings that cover similar functionality. These changes will affect the groups.google.com interface and also the APIs used to manage groups.
Your existing groups may be affected by the upcoming settings changes. When the changes take effect, we’ll update the settings for existing groups. These updates may change how groups can be accessed and used.
Use this Help Center article to see details of these changes and see how you can prepare for the update.
The changes will start to roll out on May 6, and may take up to 15 days to reach all domains.
Who’s impactedAdmins and end users
Why you’d take actionSome users who are not group owners or group managers but who currently have access to specific group management features may lose that access. We recommend you audit groups in your organization and adjust the settings before May 6 to make sure these users don’t lose access.
When the new settings take effect:
- Existing group settings will be updated to conform to the new controls available.
- Group owners will still be able to change the settings that apply to their group at any point.
- New groups will be subject to the same default controls that they are today.
How to get started
- Admins: We encourage you to audit groups in your organization and adjust the settings before May 6 to make sure users don’t lose access. Use this Help Center article to see what’s changing and how you can prepare for the changes, and this Help Center article to see how you could tell group owners about what’s changing.
- End users: Support any group audits as decided by admin.
Additional detailsIn the next few days, users will see an in-product message about the upcoming changes when they use Groups. The message will direct them to the Help Center for an overview of the changes and change timeline.
Most groups will be affected in some way by these changes. You can use the Groups API to get a list of all groups and get a list of group owners in your organization, which might help you prepare for the changes.
- Help Center: Details of upcoming changes to Groups settings
- Help Center: How you can communicate with Groups owners about the changes
- Rapid Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on May 6, 2019
- Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on May 6, 2019 G Suite editions Available to all G Suite editions On/off by default? This feature will be ON by default.
Stay up to date with G Suite launches