Contributor applications for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2022 are now open!
Google Summer of Code is a global, online program focused on bringing new contributors into open source software development. GSoC contributors work with an open source organization on a 12+ week programming project under the guidance of mentors.
Since 2005, GSoC has welcomed new developers into the open source community every year. The GSoC program has brought over 18,000 contributors from 112 countries together, with over 17,000 mentors from 746 open source organizations.
For 2022, GSoC made significant changes to expand the reach and flexibility of the program. The following are the key changes:
- All newcomers and beginners to open source 18 years and older may now apply to GSoC
- GSoC now supports both medium sized projects (~175 hours) and large projects (~350 hours)
- Projects can be spread out over 10–22 weeks
- Review the list of mentoring organizations and use filters to sort by programming language and categories
- Narrow down your list to 2-4 organizations and review their ideas list
- Reach out to the organizations via their contact methods listed on the GSoC site
- Engage with your organization early and often
Best of luck to all our applicants!
Romina Vicente, Program Manager – Google Open Source