This year was marked by celebrity moments. In February, Kylie Jenner surprised the world with To Our Daughter, an 11-minute film detailing her pregnancy and the birth of baby Stormi. We were obsessed with William Zabka and Ralph Macchio’s return to the screen with Cobra Kai the most watched trailer in Australia. And of course, there was our fascination with the Royal Wedding of Harry and Meghan.
Emerging and well-known YouTube stars also showed up in a big way in the year's Top Trending Videos list. Liza Koshy and David Dobrik shared the news of their breakup through tears and laughter, we sang along with Paul McCartney in a special Carpool Karaoke, the guys from Dude Perfect somehow perfectly tossed bread into a toaster, and we were determined to solve the internet’s latest mystery -- seriously, is it Yanny or Laurel? - with two explanations making the Top 10. Comedic duo Superwog maintained their reign, once again making the list.
These were the moments that had Australians watching, commenting and sharing in 2018:
Australia’s Top Trending Videos
- To Our Daughter
- Walmart yodeling kid
- we broke up
- "ROYAL WEDDING" — A Bad Lip Reading
- So Sorry
- Real Life Trick Shots 2 | Dude Perfect
- Do You Hear "Yanny" or "Laurel"? (SOLVED with SCIENCE)
- Highway Patrol
- Paul McCartney Carpool Karaoke
- Yanny v Laurel video: which name do you hear? – audio
Australia's Top Trending Music Videos
In 2018, we were hooked on the biggest releases of the year with Drake, Ariana and Childish Gambino all making appearances in Australia’s top trending music list.
- Maroon 5 - Girls Like You ft. Cardi B
- Drake - God's Plan
- Bruno Mars - Finesse (Remix) [Feat. Cardi B] [Official Video]
- Ariana Grande - no tears left to cry
- Childish Gambino - This Is America (Official Video)
- Lil Dicky - Freaky Friday feat. Chris Brown (Official Music Video)
- Dua Lipa - IDGAF (Official Music Video)
- Post Malone - Psycho ft. Ty Dolla $ign
- XXXTENTACION - SAD!
- Rudimental - These Days feat. Jess Glynne, Macklemore & Dan Caplen [Official Video]
Australia’s Top Trending Music Videos from Aussie Artists
Looking at local acts Aussies are loving, it’s no surprise to see 5SOS and Amy Shark in the top three after their multiple ARIA wins last month. Breakthrough artist Dean Lewis also racked up views with his latest hit Be Alright.
- 5 Seconds Of Summer - Youngblood (Alt Version)
- Iggy Azalea - Kream ft. Tyga
- Amy Shark - I Said Hi (Official Video)
- Dean Lewis - Be Alright (Official Video)
- LSD - Thunderclouds (Official Video) ft. Sia, Diplo, Labrinth
- Troye Sivan - Dance To This ft. Ariana Grande
- Kerser - Wait A Minute
- Conrad Sewell - Healing Hands (Official Music Video)
- Vance Joy - We're Going Home [Official Video]
- Hillsong Worship - Who You Say I Am
Top Emerging Australian Creators
#YouTubeRewind also examined the growth of local channels to unearth the top 10 Emerging Aussie YouTube Creators for 2018 - those that started a channel this year and have seen the largest growth in subscribers. The list shows the diversity of content being created in Australia and the strong communities across family, learning and education, gaming, entertainment and more.
The future of content is looking bright with younger creators Fun with Alicia and the Norris’ landing the number one and four spots respectively. We also tuned into see more from some of our favourite gaming creators as they all came together to live under one Click roof.
- Fun With Alicia
- Gillian Bower Slime
- Norris Nuts Do Stuff
- Erin Alysha Barnett
- Crafty Creations
- Shammi Vlogs
- Crypto Global News Team
It's also time for our annual Rewind mashup video. But rather than trying to sum up 2018's biggest memes, personalities, and hit videos ourselves, we tried something different this time around. We asked some of YouTube's biggest names to tell us what they wanted to see if they controlled Rewind.
Check out the full video below and head over to our Rewind site to get to know the creators and artists who shaped popular culture in 2018.