There’s never been a better time to be a geek. From “Game of Thrones” and “The Big Bang Theory,” to “Harry Potter” and “The Avengers,” geek culture is everywhere, attracting and connecting ever-expanding audiences. Today's obsession with all-things-geek has sparked a global community on YouTube, enabling fans around the world to express their love of superheroes, comics, gaming, science and sci-fi.
With some of the biggest channels on YouTube dedicated to geek culture, the platform has become a top destination for fans everywhere to create, share and watch geek content. That’s why on August 4-10 we’ll celebrate this content with a special programming event: our first-ever YouTube Geek Week at YouTube.com/GeekWeek.
Produced in conjunction with geek powerhouse Nerdist in the US and Channel Flip in the UK, Geek Week will showcase more than 100 channels that fans love, unveiling new videos, series premieres and creative collaborations, as well as highlighting some of the best geek videos and shows already on YouTube.
Each day is hosted by a different YouTube channel, which will introduce the highlights of the day in a special daily video, as well as launch exciting new content throughout the week.
- Global Geekery Monday: Anime from Tokyo, comic book heroes from Delhi, and a celebration of Doctor Who. Explore geek culture from around the world. Hosted by YOMYOMF in the U.S., and including a special new episode of the British cult children's TV show “Knightmare.”
- Brainiac Tuesday: Science, education and knowledge channels that make YouTube the world's biggest platform for learning. Hosted by Veritasium and The Spangler Effect in the US, with an epic stunt from Head Squeeze and Flow from the UK.
- Super Wednesday: From hilarious parodies to real-life superpowers, explore superheroes, the supernatural and the super-weird. Plus, released exclusively for Geek Week, the trailer for Marvel's “Thor: The Dark World.” Hosted by Stan Lee’s World of Heroes in the US, and you won’t believe what Fast Furious & Funny have done with an old Nissan in the UK.
- Gaming Thursday: A gamers’ paradise, with live play-throughs, video games in real life, game-inspired original series and much more. Hosted by Machinima and Maker Studios' Polaris in the US, with a Guinness World Records gaming attempt live stream from the UK.
- Fan Friday: Sci-fi-themed cooking, incredible cosplay and impassioned nerd debates as YouTube's biggest fans take center stage. Hosted by Felicia Day of Geek & Sundry in the US, with an ultimate geeky quiz by Crabstickz from the UK.
For our 3l33t geeks out there, keep your eyes out for Easter eggs all week, and you’ll also be able to collect badges from the eggs and select #geekweek videos when logged in and visiting YouTube.com/GeekWeek.
The YouTube #GeekWeek Team recently watched the trailer for “Video Game High School Season 2 Trailer.”