Available now in beta through our Developer Preview Program, you can read working location data using the Calendar API and get notified when those working locations change. Previously, we said this functionality would be available through a separate API. However, in order to provide a more streamlined experience, this functionality will be instead available in the Calendar API.
Using the API to read a Calendar user’s working location values can help you:
- Analyze the flow and volume of people through physical campuses, helping you adapt on-site resources to the needs of your employees.
- Share whereabouts across other internal or third-party surfaces, making it easier to enable tasks such as hot desk booking or schedule in-office or remote working days.
We anticipate write support for the API to become available in Q3 2023 — we’ll share an update here on the Workspace Updates Blog at that time.
Admins and Developers:
- Developers can apply to Google Workspace Developer Preview Program to use this feature. For more information, see our developer documentation for reading a user's working location.
- Important Note: While all developers will be able to use the API, the working location feature is only available for eligible Workspace editions.
- Visit the Help Center to learn more about configuring the working location feature for your organization.
While all developers will be able to use the API, the working location feature is only available for eligible Workspace editions:
- Available to Google Workspace Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education Fundamentals, Education Plus, Education Standard, the Teaching and Learning Upgrade and Nonprofits customers, as well as legacy G Suite Business customers
- Not available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Enterprise Essentials, Frontline, G Suite Basic customers