Each year we like to share program statistics about the GSoC program and the accepted students and mentors involved in the program. 6,626 students from 121 countries submitted 8,903 applications for this year’s program.
- 86.6% are participating in their first GSoC
- 71.7% are first time applicants to GSoC
- 77.4% are undergraduates, 16.8% are masters students, and 5.8% are in PhD programs
- 72.5% are Computer Science majors, 3.6% are Mathematics majors, 23.9% are other majors including many from engineering fields like Electrical, Mechanical, Aerospace, etc.
- Students are studying in a variety of fields including Atmospheric Science, Finance, Neuroscience, Economics, Biophysics, Linguistics, Geology, Pharmacy and Real estate.
ProposalsThere were a record number of students submitting proposals for the program this year:
- 6,626 students (18.2% increase from last year)
- 121 countries
- 8,902 proposals submitted
RegistrationsWe had a record breaking 51,244 students from 178 countries(!) register for the program this year—that’s a 65% increase in registrations from last year’s record numbers!
In our next GSoC statistics post, we will do a deeper dive into the schools and mentors for the 2020 program.
By Stephanie Taylor, Google Open Source