We’re expanding the number of allowed Gmail delegates from 25. In addition, to help with delegate management, delegation for Contacts is now available via the Contacts API.
Admins, end users, and developers
Why you’d use it
We’ve heard from you that allowing more than 25 users to access a single mailbox can sometimes help manage the messages. For example, in certain cases, the volume and variety of inquiries necessitated having a larger group of individual users be able to read and respond to them. To address this need, we‘ve enabled higher limits.
Additionally, we’re now offering programmatic access to managing Contacts delegation, similar to how Gmail delegation can be managed via the API. Note that delegation limits for Contacts delegation are not changing.
Where previously we advised that a technical limit of 25 delegates applied for email delegation, our updated guidance is as follows:
- With typical usage, up to 40 of those configured users may concurrently access the account. However, please note that
- All other Gmail limits and policies continue to apply.
- Heavy usage by any user will reduce the overall concurrency limit. This will most commonly occur if automation or scripting (e.g. via Chrome extension or API) is used to engage with the mailbox via high frequency actions.
- Up to 1000 delegates may be configured as delegates for the purposes of setting up access control.
- For high-volume operations such as sales or support teams, we continue to recommend the use of a dedicated ticketing system. Gmail is not intended to replace a ticketing system for scaled operations.
- Contacts delegation is still limited to 25 delegates per user.
- Admins: Visit the Help Center to learn more about turning Gmail delegation on or off for your organization.
- End users: Visit the Help Center to learn more about setting up mail delegation for your account.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on January 12, 2021
- Available to Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus, as well as G Suite Basic, Business, Education, Enterprise for Education, and Nonprofits customers
- Not available to users with personal Google Accounts