Today, we’re introducing the YouTube Kids app to Australia - an app built with parents and children in mind, that makes it safer and easier for kids to find videos on topics they want to explore. Since its release in the United States in February, the YouTube Kids app has been downloaded more than 10 million times, by families who rate it among the top kids apps available.
Now, Aussie families will have a new way to discover and explore videos on every topic in, well, the universe. YouTube Kids is our first step in reimagining YouTube for families, built from the ground up with little ones in mind. Our family-friendly app makes it easier for parents and kids to enjoy the family content they love, and it’s now available to download for free on Google Play and the App Store.
Here are some of the key features:
Bright and playful design
We’ve designed the app to be easier for kids to use, with a brighter and bigger interface that’s perfect for little thumbs to navigate. And we’ve built in voice search so that even if your child can’t spell or type, they can still find videos of things they’re curious about. Your family can even enjoy their favourite videos on the big screen, using Chromecast, Apple TV, game consoles or a smart TV.
With larger images and bold icons, it’s fast and simple. And we’ve built in voice search so that even if your child can’t spell or type, they can still find videos of things they’re curious about.
We’ve built the YouTube Kids app to be a safer version of YouTube, a family-friendly place for kids to explore their imagination and curiosity. You can browse channels and playlists in four categories: Shows, Music, Learning, and Explore, or search for videos of particular interest to your family. Your favourite Aussie shows from ABC Kids — Play School, Jemima's Big Adventure, and Giggle and Hoot — are in YouTube Kids alongside Thomas & Friends, HooplaKidz, and National Geographic Kids. You’ll also find popular content from Australian creators such as Charli's Crafty Kitchen, Bounce Patrol, and Hi-5 TV.
We’ve built options into the app that help you control the experience for your kids and put parents in the driving seat.
- Learn how the app works: When parents open YouTube Kids, we explain upfront how our systems choose and recommend content and how to flag videos. We always try to make the videos available in the app family-friendly but no system is perfect, so if you ever find a video you’re concerned about, please flag it. This helps make YouTube Kids better for everyone.
- Search settings: We’ll also prompt you to make a choice about how broadly you want your child to explore - turn search on to access millions of family-friendly videos, or turn search off to restrict your child’s experience to a more limited set. Either way, parents decide the right experience for their family from the get-go.
- Timer: Let the app be the bad guy with a built-in timer that lets you limit kids’ screen time. The app alerts your child when the session is over, so you don’t have to. (You’re welcome. ;) )
- Sound settings: Sometimes you need a little peace and quiet! You have an option to turn off background music and sound effects, so your kids can keep watching while you catch a breath.
- Custom passcode: Parents have the ability to set their own passcode.
YouTube Kids is available for free starting today in Australia on Google Play and the App Store. We’re so excited to help kids and families discover, learn and create in new ways. From our family to yours, happy exploring!