You can now use your mobile phone as a security key in the Advanced Protection Program for the enterprise. This means you can use your Android or iOS device’s built-in security key for 2-Step Verification, which makes it easier and quicker to protect high-risk users with our strongest account security settings.
Users can learn more and sign up for the Advanced Protection Program at g.co/advancedprotection.
Who’s impactedAdmins and end users
Why you’d use it
The Advanced Protection Program for the enterprise enforces a package of several security policies, which can help protect the accounts of employees who are most at risk for targeted attacks. By adding the option to use your phone as a security key with this program, we hope more G Suite users will be able to take advantage of the protection it offers due to:
- Simpler enrollment - Users can sign up quickly using devices they already have.
- Intuitive user experience - Users are familiar with the phone interface, and often already carry phones with them.
- Lower costs - This reduces the need to purchase security keys.
Additional detailsTargeted attacks describe sophisticated, low volume handcrafted attacks that are often carried out by highly motivated professional or government backed groups. Employees at risk of targeted attacks that may benefit from the program include, for example, IT admins, executives, and employees in regulated industries such as finance or government.
The individual policies currently included in the Advanced Protection Program are also available to G Suite admins and users outside of the program. However, the Advanced Protection Program for the enterprise offers an easy-to-use bundle of our strongest account security settings
Admins: By default, users will be able to sign up for the Advanced Protection Program. You can disable it at the OU level. Visit the Help Center to learn more about managing the Advanced Protection Program in your organization.
End users: Android users can go directly to g.co/advancedprotection to enroll their phone as a security key. iPhone users must first activate the security key with Google’s Smart Lock app, then enroll in the Advanced Protection Program.
- This feature is available now for all users.
- Available to all G Suite customers
- G Suite Admin Help Center: Protect users with the Advanced Protection Program
- The Keyword: New Advanced Protection Program: account security in an instant
- Security Blog: Have an iPhone? Use it to protect your Google Account with the Advanced Protection Program
- G Suite Updates blog: Advanced Protection Program for the enterprise generally available to help protect high-risk users
- G Suite Updates blog: Android phone’s built-in security key now generally available
- G Suite Updates blog: Use an iPhone phone as a security key for 2-Step Verification