In the coming months, we will move the location of the existing Gmail logs in BigQuery to Google Workspace logs and reports in BigQuery. This change will only impact existing Google Workspace customers, who have BigQuery Export enabled. New customers will be guided through setting up a Workspace BigQuery project for Gmail logs.
While this change is happening, for a brief period of time, Gmail data will be exported to both the Gmail logs and the Workspace logs — existing Google Workspace customers who are impacted will receive an email notification with more information in the coming weeks.
Gmail logs in BigQuery
Migrating to Unified Workspace logs in BigQuery
Why it’s important
This change will create a single space to access all of your Google Workspace audit events and eliminate the need to switch between various sources of truth.
Once this merger is completed, you will not be able to use Gmail logs in BigQuery in the Admin console. Visit the Help Center for more information, including detailed step-by-step instructions on handling this change.
Temporary dual export period and BigQuery storage requirements
Once Gmail logs are set to be exported to Workspace Logs, this data will temporarily exported to two destinations:
- Your previous, Gmail-only BigQuery project
- Your new or existing Workspace BigQuery project, which stores data for all Google Workspace applications
This will also impact your BigQuery quotas limits and how often they have to refresh, as well as the cost associated with exporting logs to BigQuery. To avoid impact on your quotas and duplicative data, we strongly recommend turning off Gmail log exports to your Gmail-only BigQuery projects.
- Admins: Visit the Help Center to learn more about Google Workspace logs and reports in BigQuery and moving your views, queries, and scripts from Gmail logs in BigQuery to Workspace logs in BigQuery.
- End users: There is no end user impact.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on August 10, 2022
- Available to Google Workspace Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education Plus, Education Standard
- Not available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Frontline, and Nonprofits, as well as legacy G Suite Basic and Business customers