Posted by Francesca Di Felice, Developer Marketing at Google Play
Testing for growth, by Peak
Hear from Kevin Shanahan, Product Manager from Peak, a brain training app, on how to grow sustainably.
- Test lots of ideas: You can't be sure of what will work and what won't, so you need to test lots of ideas. Peak ran four different tests to try to increase conversions to Pro (their subscriber offering):
- Made the ability to replay games a Pro feature
- Reduced price of Pro by 25% in top 2 markets
- Bundled add-on modules from partners into Pro
- Showed a preview of Pro-only content
- Get the basics right: Start with a great product and have a data-informed culture. Don't only test app features, experimenting your store listing using store listing experiments is also important.
- Build a robust A/B testing process: Having a well-defined A/B testing process and a system for tracking your experiments is key to testing quickly and effectively.
Andy Carvell, former Product Manager at SoundCloud, an online audio distribution platform that enables its users to upload, record, promote, and share their originally-created sounds, explains how they focus on retention to improve growth.
- Design your retention strategy: Apps with poor retention
grow slowly. To increase your retention you should:
- Convert new users to repeat visitors by providing a strong onboarding experience for new users and taking a high-touch approach during the first days and weeks.
- Increase visit frequency within this group by providing frequent, timely, and relevant messaging about content or activity on the platform.
- Target returning users who were not seen over the last period, who are 'at risk of churn' users, by giving them reasons to come back for another session before losing them.
- Re-activate lapsed (long-term churned) users with campaigns to remind them about your app and offer an incentive to return.
- Build 'growth machines': Create repeatable processes that testing has proven to positively impact retention, retaining users, and preventing churn.
- Use activity notifications in a personalised and effective way: At SoundCloud there are plenty of things that happen when users are not in the app that might be relevant to them, for example new content releases or social interactions. They tested 5 new notification types, always keeping a control group to better keep track of the impact, and managed to increase retention in a 5%. Watch the video above for more of Andy's tips on making better use of notifications.