You can now blur or replace your background with an image in Google Meet on Android. You can choose from Google’s hand-picked images, which include office spaces, landscapes, and abstract backgrounds. This feature is already available on the web.
Why you’d use it
Having the ability to blur or replace your meeting backgrounds can help you show more of your personality, or help hide your surroundings if that’s your preference.
Support for replacing your background with a custom image on Android and support for iOS will be coming soon; we’ll announce on the Google Workspace Updates blog when they become available.
- Admins: This feature is controllable with an admin setting. Visit the Help Center to learn more about controlling whether users can change their backgrounds in Google Meet.
- End users: This feature is OFF by default. Visit our Help Center to learn more about how to change your background on Google Meet. Note: virtual backgrounds work on most recent mobile devices, visit the device compatibility page for more information.
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout to eligible devices (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on June 7, 2021
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as G Suite Basic and Business customers
- This feature was listed as an upcoming release.