We’re excited to announce that G Suite for Education is now Google Workspace for Education. We hope that this change will provide you greater choice and flexibility in selecting the best tools to empower your institution. As part of this change, Google Workspace for Education will now be available in four distinct editions instead of just two:
- Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals is the new name for G Suite for Education. It will continue to be free to qualifying schools and universities. If you’re currently using this edition, you won't see any changes besides a new name and new features. Learn more.
- Google Workspace for Education Standard is a new option that builds on Education Fundamentals to provide institutions with enhanced security. Learn more.
- Teaching and Learning Upgrade is a new option that builds on Education Fundamentals or Education Standard to offer advanced video communication capabilities, enriched class experiences in Classroom, and tools that guide critical thinking and academic integrity. Learn more.
- Google Workspace for Education Plus is the new name for G Suite Enterprise for Education. This includes all features from Education Fundamentals, Education Standard, the Teaching and Learning upgrade, and more. Learn more.
In addition to these changes, we’re updating our storage policies. See more details below.
See our Education Blog post for more details on these new offerings. Use our website for a complete comparison of our Google Workspace for Education editions.
Why it’s important
More than 170 million students and educators worldwide rely on our suite of tools. With the launch of Google Workspace for Education, everything you need to teach, learn, connect, and share will remain all in one place, accessible from anywhere on any device. It will also include all the products you already use, like Google Classroom, Meet, Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and many more.
We hope the new offerings help us meet the diverse needs of institutions around the globe, from Pre-K to PhD.
Introducing a new storage policy
Google has traditionally offered unlimited storage to qualifying schools and universities for free. In July 2022, we'll implement a new pooled storage model for all Google Workspace for Education editions.
We remain committed to providing all institutions around the world with a best-in-class experience, including ample free storage to support quality educational experiences. The new storage model will provide schools and universities with a baseline of 100TB of pooled cloud storage shared across all of their users—more than enough storage for over 100 million docs, 8 million presentations or 400,000 hours of video. To empower admins to adapt to this model and optimize their storage, we will provide tools to identify and manage how storage is used and allocated far in advance of the policy going into effect.
You don't need to do anything today, and this updated storage model will impact less than 1% of institutions. We will contact impacted institutions by email in the coming weeks to discuss a range of options for getting the storage they need. For details on how to prepare for this upcoming change or to learn more about how you’ll be able to increase the storage pool for your institution, please visit our Help Center.
- The update to Google Workspace for Education will take place automatically. Current G Suite for Education and Enterprise for Education customers will start to see the new edition names, Google Workspace Education Fundamentals and Education Plus respectively, in the Admin console in the coming days.
- See our Education Blog post for more details on these new offerings. Use our website for a complete comparison of our Google Workspace for Education editions.
- For details on how to prepare for the new storage policy or to learn more about how you’ll be able to increase the storage pool for your institution, please visit our Help Center.
- End users: Users will automatically get the features in their new edition.
- Google Workspace Education Fundamentals and Education Plus are available today. Institutions will be able to purchase Education Standard and the Teaching and Learning Upgrade starting April 14, 2021.
- The new storage policy will go into effect for existing customers on all Google Workspace for Education editions in July 2022.
- Applicable to Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals (formerly known as G Suite for Education) and Google Workspace for Education Plus (formerly known as G Suite Enterprise for Education) customers
- Not applicable to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus, as well as G Suite Basic, Business, and Nonprofits customers