Starting today, we’re rolling out an enhanced tool finder at the top of Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides to make it easier for users to discover commonly used tools and features. These refined tool-finding capabilities aim to help you quickly locate relevant features or functionality using your own words. For example, if you search “who last viewed this document,” the Activity dashboard will surface.
If you open the enhanced tool finder immediately after you create a file, you’ll notice suggestions for common actions users take when preparing a new document, spreadsheet, or presentation, such as:
- Page setup, Dropdown, Meeting notes in Docs
- Insert rows/columns, merge cells, and freeze rows/columns in Sheets
- Page setup, Spell check, Edit theme in Slides
Once you begin editing, you can find recent actions by clicking into the tool finder for easy access to your previously used features.
Prior to this launch, you could find features by navigating to Help>Search the menus. Starting today, that will redirect you to the enhanced tool finder. After a short transition period, the redirect will be removed and the tool finder will live permanently in the toolbar.
Why you’d use it
Whether you’re exploring collaboration, smart canvas, or formatting features, the enhanced tool finder will save you time and streamline your flow of work by helping you find the exact features you’re looking for much quicker.
You’ll also always be able to get to the find & replace tool at the bottom of search results, which will open with your query pre-populated.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature.
- End users: Visit the Help Center to learn more about tool finder for Docs, Sheets & Slides.
- Rapid Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on April 25, 2023
- Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on May 10, 2023
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as legacy G Suite Basic and Business customers
- Available to users with personal Google Accounts