Quick launch summary
You can now enable Gmail IMAP and Gmail POP separately and enable access via IMAP on a per-app basis in the Admin console.
In addition to granularly allowing mail clients to sync via IMAP and/or POP, there’s also a new option to specify a list of OAuth IDs, which are the approved IMAP clients that your users are allowed to use. For example, you may choose to allow your users to use the default mail app on mobile devices and desktop computers. By default, all IMAP clients will be allowed unless this feature is explicitly enabled. Note that IMAP clients can only be restricted if they support OAuth.
- Admins: This feature will be OFF by default and can be enabled at the domain or organizational unit (OU) level. Visit the Help Center to learn more about turning IMAP options on or off for your organization.
- End users: There is no end user setting for this feature. End users will only be able to use the allowlisted IMAP clients approved by admin.
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on March 2, 2021
- Available to Google Workspace Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus, as well as G Suite Basic, Business, Nonprofits, Education, and Enterprise for Education customers
- Not available to Google Workspace Essentials customers