What’s changingThe Google Voice auto attendant can now be configured to transfer calls to a person with Google Voice in addition to a phone number.
Who’s impactedAdmins only
Why you’d use itTo direct callers to the correct people in your organization, you can set up a menu system in Google Voice. This automated attendant (called “auto attendant”) lets callers select options by pressing keys on their phone. For example, you can set up a menu that says, “For Support, press 1. For Sales, press 2. To speak to an operator, press 0.”
With this change, you can now direct callers to a specific user without having to look up that user’s number when setting up the transfer in the Admin console.
How to get started
- Admins: In the Admin console, go to Apps > G Suite > Google Voice and follow the steps in this Help Center article.
- Make sure to select “User” under “Transfer type.” Here, you can enter the user’s email address.
- End users: No action required.
Additional detailsThe option to transfer to phone numbers is still available if you’d prefer that setup.
- Rapid Release domains: Full rollout (1–3 days for feature visibility) starting on August 8, 2019
- Scheduled Release domains: Full rollout (1–3 days for feature visibility) starting on August 8, 2019
G Suite editions
- Available to Google Voice Enterprise users
On/off by default?
- This feature will be OFF by default.
Stay up to date with G Suite launches